José de Mello Saúde considers that it is strategic to invest in Education and to cooperate with universities in order to develop the activity of healthcare delivery.
Therefore, JMS has seek to enter into cooperation agreements with the main Portuguese universities, namely in the fields of Medicine and Health Sciences, which creates exchanges of added value for all participants.
• With regards to the Protocol that has been established with Faculty of Medicine of Porto University [Faculdade de Medicina da Universidade do Porto], which acknowledges hospital CUF Porto as an affiliated hospital, we provide training in Internal Medicine, Obstetrics & Gynaecology and General Surgery.
• To give continuity to the cooperation with Faculty of Medical Sciences, New University of Lisbon - UNL’s FCM [Faculdade de Ciências Médicas da Universidade Nova de Lisboa], since the academic year of 2011-2012, the charge of the Discipline of ENT was assigned to the Specialty Manager of hospital CUF Infante Santo, after Professor Dr João Paço completed his bar exams at UNL’s FCM. In the academic year of 2012-2013, under the guidance of Professor Dr Jorge Canena, the same hospital was assigned the charge of the Discipline of Gastroenterology, under the Integrated Master in Medicine at FCM.
• With very positive ratings we have the education programme of hospital CUF Descobertas, for UNL’s FCM students, in the specialties of Paediatrics, Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Internal Medicine, General Surgery and Allergy and Immunology.
• As far as post-graduate education is concerned, the efforts to broaden up the capacity and achievement of training competences. Currently, the only specialties that have this recognition are: hospital CUF Descoberta’s Paediatrics, Allergy and Immunology, and ENT; and hospital CUF Infante Santo’s ENT.
• hospital CUF Descobertas’ Orthopaedics Centre has continued to implement fellowship programmes under the agreement with the European Orthopaedic Society.
• José de Mello Saúde is one of the sponsors of the Advanced Medical Training Programme developed by Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia (Science and Technology Foundation), the Ministry of Health, Fundação Gulbenkian (Gulbenkian Foundation) and Fundação Champalimaud (Champalimaud Foundation). The programme is intended for physicians, resident physicians and specialists, who are highly motivated to clinical or translational research activities.